So what's the big deal?

Hi, I'm Anelise! I'm originally from Kodiak, Alaska but I go to school at Willamette University in Salem, Oregon where I study Environmental Science. To study abroad has always been a dream of mine, but the traditional route does not appeal to me. Instead, I am taking a semester off to spend two months volunteering at a turtle hatchery in Hawaii, Guatemala followed by a month of travel, intensive Spanish language lessons, and lots of cultural immersion! Thanks for checking out my blog, I hope you are entertained and inspired by my journey.

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

I have food poisoning and here are my thoughts

I haven't posted in a while because initially, I didn't think I had much to write about these last few weeks. I realize now, as food poisoning has me bed ridden and is forcing me to reflect on my experiences, that my life recently has been pretty great.

I spent the last two weeks in Xela, the second largest city in Guatemala. The time passed quickly as I took Spanish lessons for five hours per day and salsa dance classes in the evenings. I rented a room in a house that quickly became a home and I gorged myself in fresh fruit and veggies from Mercado Las Flores down the street.

$2 worth of groceries from Mercado Las Flores. 

I met someone who fishes out of Kodiak during the summers with whom I was able to talk about the joys of eating smoked black cod and the incredible view from the top of North Sister. I learned and practiced a lot of Spanish and I even was able to attend a traditional Guatemalan wedding in the highland village of Almolonga. 

Taking a break from Spanish lessons with my friend Mila from Tawain.  
 
I conquered my doubts and experienced what it actually feels like to be "at the peak of your life", what the old farts often tell us young whippersnappers, as I summited Volcán Tajamulco (4220m) and Volcán Acatenango (3975m), the first and third tallest points in Central America. 

Watching the sunrise from the summit of Volcán Tajamulco. 

Although I am ready to see loved ones, I honestly don't want to leave Guatemala. After nearly three months of living here, I feel as though I am just now beginning to fit in, if that's possible, and to flow with the way of life here. Even in my groggy state of food poisoning, I am so thankful to be here. Now, hopefully my stomach will stop salsa dancing so that I can explore Lago Atitlan. 

Food poisoning: 1 
Anelise: 0
At least I have a pretty view while I'm sick!

P.s. if you are wondering what gave me food poisoning, I ate falafel, hummus, and pita at a Mediterannian restaurant (se llama Hummus Ya) in San Pedro la Laguna last night. Believe it or not, falafel tastes better the first time...

No comments:

Post a Comment